Irish Studies Minor
For a 15-credit minor in Irish Studies, students complete the following:
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Irish Literature 1|
|Ireland: Middle Ages to the Present 2|
|Ireland Since the Famine 2|
|Select four additional Irish Studies electives||12|
Students who choose ENGL 1610 may take up to two additional English courses and must take the remaining two courses in different fields.
- Subject to the Irish Studies Program Director's approval, students may apply up to three courses (9 credits) taken at NUI Galway towards their minor in Irish Studies.
- While studying abroad is not required for completion of the Irish Studies minor, students are encouraged to do so.
- Irish Studies courses are offered in a variety of fields and disciplines. Please contact the program director for a course list and descriptions.
Irish Studies Electives
|AHST 1121||Celtic and Early Irish Art||3|
|AHST 2221||Arts of Ireland and the British Isles, 500-1000||3|
|ENGL 1420||Myths and Legends of Ireland and Britain||3|
|ENGL 1610||Irish Literature||3|
|ENGL 1620||Irish Women Writers||3|
|ENGL 3019||James Joyce||3|
|HIST 2215||Ireland: Middle Ages to the Present||3|
|HIST 3315||Ireland Since the Famine||3|
|IRST 1111||Introduction to the Irish Language I||3|
|IRST 1112||Introduction to the Irish Language II||3|
|POLI 2257||Northern Ireland: Politics of War and Peace||3|
Student Learning Outcomes
Students minoring in Irish Studies should be able to:
- Express, orally and in writing, the significant connections between literature, history, politics, and art.
- Articulate the complexity of another culture (social, political, religious, economic) using the example of Ireland.
- Explain clearly and in depth the social, political, and religious problems that confronted and still do confront Irish people, including the role of literary and artistic production in the country’s troubled history.
- Examine, with fluency, Irish historical documents, poems, works of art, and literary prose, and to analyze them vis a vis their contexts and their meanings for the individual and society.