Students seeking a minor in Spanish complete 15 upper-division credits in Spanish (beyond SP 0211) for a total of 5 courses. There is one required course and four electives:
|SP 0220||Topics in Language and Culture||3|
|Select 4 upper-division Spanish electives 1||12|
These electives can include any 200- or 300-level Spanish course beyond SP 0211 taught at Fairfield University, courses taken abroad, or the coordination seminar (with professor approval).
- We strongly recommend that all minors also take SP 0245 Analysis and Interpretation of Hispanic Literature and SP 0285 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics.
- SP 0220 is a prerequisite for all subsequent Spanish classes (except SP 0225, SP 0231B, and SP 0231N). After taking SP 0220, students may take all remaining courses (required and elective) at any time and in any order, provided individual course prerequisites are met.
- Students who received their High School education in a Spanish-speaking country, in Spanish, are not allowed to take SP 0220. They must still take 15 credits for the minor.
- Study Abroad: Students are encouraged to study abroad in a Spanish speaking country. In order to have courses taken abroad count toward the Spanish major or minor two conditions must be met: 1) the courses are taught entirely in Spanish: and 2) the content is related to some aspect of Latin American or Spanish culture, history, politics, literature or linguistics.
- Any questions regarding the minor should be directed to the director of the Spanish section.